Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a '99 plate s type jaguar 3.0 manual with a very high

Customer Question

I have a '99 plate s type jaguar 3.0 manual with a very high clutch. There is nearly 100000 miles on the clock. Do I need to replace the clutch? Do I need to also replace the dual mass flywheel?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

If the clutch is high it is a sign the clutch is coming to the end of its life, however if the clutch is not slipping it will not need replacing quite yet.

You can do a stall test by putting the car into 4th gear and gently release the clutch. do this with the handbrake applied. The engine should stall. If it slips it wouldn't be long until it begins to slip when driving. The clutch can become quite high as it reaches the end of its life, but if the car is not driven particularly hard you can get many more miles out of it until gets to the point where it slips and requires replacement.

With regards ***** ***** dual mass flywheel, this should be inspected when the clutch is changed, it is not necessary to replace the dual mass unless the plate is loose and rattling, it judders, shows cracking or signs of heavy wear. This can all be checked when replacing the clutch.