Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a 2014 SsangYong Turismo Ex and have travelled 8,000

Customer Question

I have a 2014 SsangYong Turismo Ex and have travelled 8,000 miles since new. The best I get is 20mpg yet the manufacturers claim 28 urban: 40 extra urban and 34 combined. The Unity garage says it is still "tight" and that's the reason for the poor performance. Some advice please
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

With the high efficiency of modern engines, they are built to very fine tolerances. Initially the engine will be very tight and it doesn't take much to cause a dramatic drop in engine efficiency and power. This is simply a result of fine tolerances and modern engineering techniques and cam be expected on any modern engine.

The engine will loosen up gradually over the next few thousand miles and you should notice the MPG Increase gradually. Remember to re-set your MPG display regularly to get an accurate reading.

The Manufacturers MPG Figures are always higher than what you will get in reality, this is because it is done in a special test environment and is not nessasrily what you will get, but to expect 34c ombined, and get 20 I suspect the dealer is correct in saying the engine needs to bed in. Expect to see 30MPG with general driving, the MPG Is *

Ross :

the MPG is a bit lower than I would expect to see at 8000 miles. I would keep monitoring MPG as I would expect to see it rise gradually until 10,000 miles

JACUSTOMER-dadji6ca- :

Problem is the vehicle has always returned 20mpg from the day I collected it from the dealer with just 235 delivery miles on it. It has never shown an improvement, never been in*****mode, has been on long runs (Wisbech to Wareham - >200mls) and short runs (to and from work <2mls) and I stick to speed limits (I have been a magistrate for the past 25 years)

Ross :

Ok if its been like this from new with no improvement, then it may not get much better between now and 10k miles, The 2mile journey will be holding the MPG Back a lot, during this the engine wont be running to full temperature which keeps the fuel mixture rich, but to keep the MPG so low is a bit strange. Have you monitored your average MPG On the 200 Mile trip only to see what you get on a long run?

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.