Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Looking to buy a car. Below are my needs. Don't know much about

Looking to buy a car. Below are my needs. Don't know much about cars and possible options, so looking for advice/suggestion/recommendation on which car(s) suit my needs.
Needs:
MPV
second-hand
max budget £3k
economical/practical/reliable/durable
low maintenance cost
usage: weekdays - short journeys commuting to/from work; weekends - shopping, driving around, occasionally (twice annually) visiting another town about 100 miles away
5 doors
5 seats
Previously had a Mercedes A Class 2002. Liked the car, but a few warning lighs came on and electronic diagnostic/repair was likely to be greater than the value of the car. Main concern was the repair/maintenance cost.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

If you want a relilable MPV then I'd suggest either a Honda 'stream' or an toyota avensis verso

both are very reliable and within your 3K budget and also good on fuel, avoid the diesels as the repair cost is a lot higher and the fuel economy difference to the petrol isn't worthwhile

of the 2 the Honda is the better car and is nicer to drive but its a rarer vehicle so more difficult to find
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's very helpful, thank you Matt.