Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Lancia Thesis I have a flat battery and the boot and bonnet

Lancia Thesis I have a flat battery and the boot and bonnet are closed, the key is locked in the ignition switch and gear shift locked in park, How do I get at the battery to charge or replace
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

A flat battery means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip

I'd start by charging the battery you should be able to do this via the cigarette lighter / accessory socket. You'll need the appropriate attachment for your charger but car accessory shops sell these- Alternatively if you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

Locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much. In fact I managed to access a key hole in the boot by removing the rear number plate and its backing then I could use the spare key to open it manually. The tip about using the cigarette lighter sounds useful and I will keep an eye open for the attachment. Regarding trying to access the starter direct would probably be impossible or impractical for a DIYer as the Thesis has a complete under body protection sheet. Thanks again Vince

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Glad to help Vince

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.