Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I Have been looking to buy a Citroen despatch van 1.6 diesel

I Have been looking to buy a Citroen despatch van 1.6 diesel 2008 but it won't rev above 3000 rpm in neutral the owner says it has always been this way is that correct thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

It is normal for the engine rpm to be limited when stationary. This is due to the emissions to keep the engine within its limits. When a smoke test is carried out for the MOT, rather than being revved to the red line, it is limited to keep the engine within its emission range. This helps keep it in a lower tax category.

Customer: Ahh ok it was just I had problems similar to this with a vivario van and didn't want to go down the same route
Ross :

Yes it is a bit worrying for some people but providing it revs to the red line with full power delivery once moving, there should be nothing to worry about.

Customer: Ok that's great thanks for your help