Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Lost power steering on FOrd FIesta S Tdci 2008 plate

Lost power steering on FOrd FIesta S Tdci 2008 plate apparently reading u3000 error any ideas also now esp light is on was sudden loss yesterday
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer: Hi can u help with the enquiry
Customer: Cannot find the answer
Ross :

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Ross :

U3000 is loss of communication between PAS pump control module and ECU. These suffer with problems with the wiring at the pump connector. There are several wires going to the pump, two of which are CAN-BUS lines for data comms. This wire needs to be checked as often it corrodes at the connector terminal or the wire breaks. Because it is a data line, any high resistance from corrosion will cause this fault.

Customer: Ok how much in a ball park figure to fix the issue
Customer: Presuming it would have to toto main dealer ???
Ross :

Main dealer is not vital, as this is a reasonably simple wiring issue normally. Worst case it could be a faulty pump but usually an hours diagnostics and half an hour to repair the wiring will be around £160 at a main dealer. Less at an independent workshop.

Ross :

The only up side of the main dealer is that they can also update the software on the pump to the latest version which helps iron out some issues with the pumps. If it was a worst case and the pump failed, with a new pump and fitting it can be around £900 but the code you have is common with wiring issues

Customer: Cheers ***** ***** it's the first option then
Ross :

Yes fingers crossed. It usually is. And second hand pumps are available for around £300 which is also an option

Customer: Funny I did hear like a loud pop when the tee ring went could that be the wiring
Customer: I have a mate who works in a spare suppliers new parts so sue if worse case he can help
Ross :

If you heard a pop, although this is probably a wiring problem it could have caused the fuse to blow. The wiring should be inspected but it may be worth checking the fuse. I will just take a look at which fuse runs the pump module.

Customer: Ta
Ross :

Sorry, is your model up to 2008 or 2008 on as it was on a changeover at this age?

Customer: Yeah this is what confused the AA we think it was n change over as registered dec 2008 and it comes with space saver whelel rather than an normal which I believe was before change over so I would say after change over
Ross :

Ok great, Its probably the same fuse anyway but I will see what i can find on my diagrams.

Customer: Ta
Ross :

Right, if this is 08 on, the power steering control module is on the steering column under the dash as it is a different system to the earlier type. The fuse is number 13 (10A) in the dash panel fuse box. This also runs other circuits such as A/C, alarm and ignition system so its unlikely the fuse is the problem but worth a look.

In the under bonnet secondary fuse box (its a small one with a few big fuses in it) Fuse 2 (60A) Is the main fuse for the steering motor, this one is the most likely to have blown.

Customer: Yeah the ecu and module is under the steering column as we took the shroud off yesterday
Ross :

Ok great, so the fuse locations should be correct for your model.

Customer: lovely cheers ***** ***** get them replaced before getting it towed anywhere
Ross :

No problem,. Best of luck with the repair and hopefully it will be a nice simple fix! I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Customer: no you have been brilliant least I can chat to ford knowing this info rather than being pissed about
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician