Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I am replacing the HG on a Freelander 1.8 petrol engine. On

Customer Question

I am replacing the HG on a Freelander 1.8 petrol engine. On taking off the head etc I discovered that one of the pistons (4) is damaged. I removed the sump to replace the piston from below by pushing it up and out and replacing it from above with a replacement liner, piston etc but I cannot access one of the bolts securing the big end bearing cap because the crank is not in a position where I can access one of the two bolts.
There are dire warnings about not turning the crank with the head off because of the danger of the liners being dislodged BUT there is also a another note that it is virtually impossible to turn the crank once the head is off. In desperation I have tried to move the crank with a 22mm socket on the pullet but it will not move. can you please advise how I should proceed to be able to put the crank in a position where I can remove the second bolt???
How can I
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

There is a special tool which is used to hold the liners in place and alow the crank to turn. This is the only way to safely move the crank with the head removed.

JACUSTOMER-gjyon8zd- :

Thanks I am aware of that but what I do not understand is why the crank will not move to allow me to have access to the bolt.

Ross :

The crank should physically turn regardless of whether the liners are clamp.

Ross :

Was there any rotation before it locked when you tried to move it?

JACUSTOMER-gjyon8zd- :

Please have another look at my original query. It is not about how to restrain the liner. The Haynes manual says that with the head removed it is virtually impossible to turn the crank. If that is so how do I get access to the blot??

Ross :

No it is perfectly possible to turn the crank, I think maybe the manual has worded it badly meaning it is virtually impossible to turn the crank without the liners clamped. The crank should turn freely.

JACUSTOMER-gjyon8zd- :

Sorry but this does not help. The Manual is very clear: "Due to the design of the engine it will be very difficult, almost impossible, to turn the crankshaft once the cylinder head bolts have been slackened..."

Ross :

Ah I think I know where the confusion is. There are two types of clamp kit. The standard one threads into the bolt holes between the cylinders to pin the liner down. The other uses all of the heads bolts and also lifts the crank back into position with the block. In your case the crank will have dropped out of alignment. You can turn your crank by dropping the head back on with the camshafts out, nipping it up to 40nm with the old gasket and the crank will then turn. If it doesn't put a further 20nm on the head bolts.

JACUSTOMER-gjyon8zd- :

Bless You !!!! That makes sense.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried putting the head back on etc as you recommended but no joy. Crank still does not move. - any more ideas?

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
There is no reason it wouldn't move providing the head is on, you can safely torque the head down more if nessasry, but aim to keep it just off full torque. Sometimes they need to be tighter to get it back into position, this might be happening because you attempted to turn the crank with the head off and the shaft is further out of alighnment so I would slacken the bolts off again, give the crank a tap in the oposite direction to which you tried before and nip the head bolts up a bit tighter.