Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Is it possible rear impact damage on a Renault

Is it possible for offside rear impact damage on a Renault Captur, with the brakes applied and particularly as the car impact car ended up under the undercarriage to cause axle mis- alignment to the nearside.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

Is it possible for offside rear impact damage on a Renault Captur, with the brakes applied and particularly as the impact car ended up under the undercarriage to cause axle mis- alignment to the nearside.

Ross :

It is highly likely that damage would occur to the nearside, it depends on how bad the impact was but by the sounds of it, this was a fairly hard impact. I think realistically it would be unusual not to cause misalignment after this type of impact. The rear suspension components are linked so any movement will be transferred to the other side. Many suspension components are "sacrificial" so are deigned to collapse under impact, the nearside may have suffered sacrificial moment or if it was not bad enough to effect it directly, the impact would be enough to knock the alignment bolts. 2mm of movement on a bolt can have a big effect on the overall alignment of the axle.

Customer:

Ross :

No problem. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.