Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY TOYOTA LAND CRUISER - THE BRAKE PADDLE

Customer Question

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY TOYOTA LAND CRUISER - THE BRAKE PADDLE HAS GONE VERY HARD TO PRESS AND ALSO HAVE ABS WARNIN LIGHT. I TOOK THE CAR TO LOCAL GARAGE WHO THINKD THAT THE I MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THE ABS BRAKE PUMP MAY COST OVER £2500 TO REPAIR - WHAT IN OPINION COULD BE THE PROBLEM.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

its possible that a faulty ABS pump can produce this fault as if its seized up then brake fluid struggles to pass through it and can create the issue you describe

whats more likely though is a problem with the brake servo to be honest

as a next step I'd ask if the system can be bled as this would indicate if the fluid can pass through the pump

however as you have the ABS light on I'd really suggest that its well worth getting the car plugged into the dealership diagnostic tool and so pull off the fault code

this will point to the fault and save a lot of time and money

all garages have diagnostics these days but a lot of the more generic scan tools struggle with any faults that aren't related to the engine