Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My Mazda 2 is only 2 years old but has developed a

My Mazda 2 is only 2 years old but has developed a really bad metallic rattle when the car is just idling. Do you have any clue as to what it could be? The sound seems to disappear once the car starts to move.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Where exactly dose this noise seem to emit or come from on the car?

Any change to noise whilst sitting stationary - pressing brake or clutch or revving the engine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It seems to come from near the back passenger side wheel and seems worse when the brake is being pressed.

Thanks Robert

Evelyn

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok according to the brake set up on these they have brake shoes/drum set up..so its strange that this fault would crop up at idle/stationary as appossed to coming to stop.its a pretty simple system on that back and shouldnt cause a noise you experiance..id dont thing it generally a braking problem..but maybe something is loose coming against the exhaust system maybe at idle but eventually stops when revs picks up and the cars in motion..they would need to get the car in the air on a ramp with the engine running and check the entire exhaust system aswell as the heat deflection shields that are over the top of the exhaust system and screwed to the cars floor underneath..it maybe that one them has come adrift and maybe coming aagainst the exhaust causing the rattle noise,its hard to say without physically hearing for myself...they would also need to check loose brake lines/handbrake cables..but as above those would be the areas to have checked out first ideally..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much, I'll take it to the mechanic tomorrow