Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

, how do you recommend priming the power steering pump/system

Hi, how do you recommend priming the power steering pump/system on a TVR Chimaera following replacement of the hoses?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

The method you are using is perfectly safe to use. The pump will be noisy while it is pumping air but there is oil in the pump to keep it lubricated albeit foamy. turning lock to lock is the best way to get the air out, you can also go lock to lock with the engine off during settling time. Keep the engine at idle, lock to lock x2 each side, then idle for 60 seconds and switch off to settle, lock to lock x2 again with the engine off. Repeat process's until the air is out, if the pump is quietening down and the steering feels smooth, increase rpm to fast idle and repeat process.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Customer:

Thanks Ross, I mainly needed reassurance that I would not wreck the pump using this method. The noise was not music to the ear!! Have now repeated and noises reducing steadily. Thanks again

Ross :

No problem! I'm glad to hear is quietening down now. Its a characteristic of this type of pump ... and it can sound nasty especially on full lock but is perfectly normal. Once the noise has almost gone and the steering is smooth... take it for a test drive and any last bits of air should work its way out.