Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

where does the power steering on my 2007 fiat ducato 130 bhp

where does the power steering on my 2007 fiat ducato 130 bhp get its information from
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

The power steering system has its own control unit, this works with the engine ECU to get the vehicle speed signal which varies the steering assist.

Its a fairly simple system Vehicle speed sensor ---> Engine ECU --> Power steering control unit.

If you suffer partial loss of steering assistance, this often shows up with with a C code such as c1022 or similar. This indicates loss of signal from the speed sensor to the control unit. Ideally at this point you need a diagnostic scanner to compare the speed signal from the ECU, if it is showing an accurate speed on diagnostics but the steering system gives a fault code referring to sensor signal... the control unit is the primary suspect.

JACUSTOMER-1gne0eeg- :

we know the problem is with a sensor or ecu the diagnostic does give a fault code c1012 sensor steering system also when the power steering warning light is on it shows a speed of 61 mph even at stand still we just need to know the location of the sensor or ecu

JACUSTOMER-1gne0eeg- :

We know the problem is with the sensor or ecu the diagnostic gives a fault code c1012 sensor steering system and when the power steering warning light comes on it shows a speed of 61mph even at rest. We really need to know the location of the sensor or ecu?

Ross :

Ok, does the ABS or ESP light come on at the same time?

JACUSTOMER-1gne0eeg- :

No it's just the power steering warning light? On start up the light goes out as normal, and turning the wheel from lock to lock is with full assistance. but just moving off brings the light on and it stays on.

Ross :

If not already done, carry out a fault code scan of the ABS unit in case there is a code for an ABS sensor. If not, replace the power steering control unit, it should be located under the dash, from memory it is drivers side, it is bolted to a metal frame. The control unit is a black box with two bolts, next to it is a grey box with one bolt holding it to the frame.

JACUSTOMER-1gne0eeg- :

Thank you, ***** ***** get that checked out. Melvin

Ross :

No problem. if you have any problems feel free to come back and i will be happy to help further.

Ross :

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the abs does not show a fault and despite a thorough search we cant find the control box for the power steering any clues ? melvin

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melvin. because of the age of the vehicle I have a suspicion it may be on a crossover where they changed certain parts. The same sensors apply as i mentioned earlier however the control unit depends on whether this is mechanical or hydro-electric. Does your model use hydralics driven by an electric pump or is your power sterring pump belt driven? If it is an electronic pump, the control unit is built into the pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the pump is hydraulic as we discovered we have taken some of the dash away on the drivers but is not obvious this is not a common problem as Fiat have not heard of it you really are my last chance Melvin

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
It seems my diagrams only show one system layout for all models, this is the case sometimes especially with the Fiat vans as they are a mix of Peugeot, Fiat and Citroen, then converted in the factory from left to right hand drive.... Often things are not where they say they are.

I am very much on the case with this one so don't worry if i go quiet for a short time, Can you take a look at your steering column, check from the back of the steering wheel right down to where it exists the through the bulk head, check for a motor attached to the column. Fiat may have added their own aditional assistance motor to the column that works along side the conventional pump... I which case the control unit is part of that motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no motor visible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have looked at and around the steering column and there is no sign of a motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no motor was found on or near steering column melvin