Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

the oil in my p38 range rover is all over the floor

hi the oil in my p38 range rover is all over the floor underneath but it was running lovely when the oil light started flashing.on inspection cant see where the oil has come from engine is clean but looks like the fan has blown it around .there seems to be oil around the oil filter at front.

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

If there is no signs of oil leaking dwon from further up the engine..but appears to more around the oil filter/housing which is screwed onto as these will be spin on metal canister type.then its possible the filter could be cracked or the ring seal has failed or rolled..in particular if the oil filter has been changed recently..that would certainly tie in for the oil light to flash which means the oil loss is quite signifficant - you should inspect the oil level in the engine and to prevent running the engine if this is a major oil leak..in that case you maybe best seeking a mobile tech to inspect the source of the leak..also if the oil leak is fairly higher up around the water pump area its fairly common for the valley gasket to cause that..the the gasket/plate that sits in the centre of the V on the engine..in the mean time if you have brake cleaner/old rags..try spraying/cleaning that oil build up around the area to clear some of the oil away to get a better idea where that oil leaks comes from and if the oil filter is your problem or not..maybe check it is indeed not loose allowing oil to spew out when the engines running..I do hope this helps