Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Ive got a Skoda Ocktavia vrs 2007 model with a electrical problem

Ive got a Skoda Ocktavia vrs 2007 model with a electrical problem it keeps cutting and everthing goes dead i let it stand for about for 5 minutes and it starts again it also cutts out when driving.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you. Do all the electrical items such as dash lights, radio etc.. also cut out or is it just the engine?

Customer:

yes all the electrical items cut out.

Ross :

Ok, and is this the petrol or diesel engine?

Customer:

petrol.

Ross :

Thanks. this sounds like the main ignition relay is faulty. the fact you say it re-starts after 5 mins is a classic sign of a faulty relay as they tend to get very hot and cut out, 5 mins later it will have cooled enough to work again so i would start with checking this relay.

Customer:

ok i will check that cheers.

Ross :

Full Size Image

This diagram shows the "ignition main circuits relay" it is in the facial panel relay box under the dashboard.

Ross :

When it cuts out, give it a tap to see if the engine re-starts.. its not a fool proof diagnosis but often a light tap to the relay will get it to activate and allow the engine to start.

Customer:

i think the trigger wire that runs from the multi control unit.which one is the ignition relay.

Ross :

It is Relay number 1 in the dash board relay box. (circled in he diagram above)

Customer:

ok thanks.

Ross :

No problem, I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.