Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I am having difficulty removing the rear wheels from a 2009

I am having difficulty removing the rear wheels from a 2009 Kia Rio Sport. The handbook simply says remove the wheel nuts and pull off the wheel, but neither wheel will come off.
Is there a fifth nut to remove or do I need a special removal tool?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Just 4 wheel nuts/studs to remove on these as far as recall - as long as you've remove them all - it sounds like the alloy/rim is stuck to the hub - so very common on most vehicles especially alloys and to some steel rims with rust - you can of course grab/thump the tyre wall with both hands and try wiggling/working it off with a bit of effort - if its really on there without any movement at all then you'll need a block of wood hold it against the edge of the rim on the lower part of the wheel so you will need to go under the car at the rear making sure you have suitable axles stands already in place - hold the wood against the inner side of the rim and give it a good few hits to the centre of the wood with a suitable heavy enough hammer this should help shock it of the hub and using the wood will protect the rim from damage - you can also use suitable rubber mallet the same way without the need for the block of wood and hopefully this will help get the tyre off enough to wiggle it the rest of the way off the hub.....once off then clean up the hub aswell as the centre part of the alloy or add anti sieze compound to stop the same problem happening again..if the wheel still fails to come off then sadly it will need to go on a 2 post lift to get enough clearance to whack the back of the tyre to get it free..I do hope this helps..