sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

what damage can spraying brake cleaner fluid into a transit

what damage can spraying brake cleaner fluid into a transit 350 RWD diesel engine 2006 (trying to start it) cause?
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.
In a worse case scenario too much brake cleaner can result in a hydraulic lock of the engine which can bend a con rod. The reason for this would be too much brake cleaner in the cylinder to the point where the piston can't compress it, this would be made worse if the injector was also injecting diesel.
There is also the possibility of the valve timing jumping as the crankshaft locks.
Basically you should never try to start a diesel engine this way as the amount of fuel entering the engine is uncontrolled.
Let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.