Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2002 V6 freelander, only 40,000 miles, keeps not turning the

Customer Question

2002 V6 freelander, only 40,000 miles, keeps not turning the engine over every time when key is turned, sometimes takes 2 or 3 times before it clicks in, been doing it for a year now.. is there a cure? many thanks Mike
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike
I'm Matt and I'll try to help you with this

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Some days it starts on the first turn of the key, and on other times you have turn the key 5 or 6 times, its been like this for nearly 2 years now,,

i will, as you suggested check all connections, replace the battery and let you know if it works, I have a set of solenoid contacts I got from e-bay so hopefully I may at long last get a result, many thanks Mike.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike

it really does sound like a poor electrical connection to me so yes I'd agree some new solenoid parts may be the issue - don't forget the check the resistance of the main starter motor cable too as this often goes hard and high resistance over tiime