Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Just pulling my mini into my garage and I noticed a noise coming

Just pulling my mini into my garage and I noticed a noise coming from under the bonned - seems to be in the engine part .. never noticed before !?
Checked the oil and it's within the limits not checked coolant yet as car warm ... no warning lights are coming on. Wonder if you can help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

does the noise change pitch / increase with engine rpm?
If so I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired
If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

also check all the intake trunking / pipework for any signs of loose clips or missing part that woudl allow air to be drawn in midway
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your suggestions sound good - if you are talking to a like-minded person with car knowledge! .... Thank you and I'll take it to my local garage tomorrow ...

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello SallyAnn

Just to say that if the car is driving fine with no warning lights then you're probably fine