Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

. Just bought a 2014 Hyundai i10 SE ex demo from a dealer.

Hello. Just bought a 2014 Hyundai i10 SE ex demo from a dealer. We are having problems with the handbrake. We have a steep drive to exit the house. When we apply the handbrake on the drive, we press down on the footbrake, pull up the handbrake 5 notches (as far as it can go) and get one of three results:
1. the car appears to hold;
2. the car holds but creaks, so that if we lightly bounce a couple of times in our seats, it starts to slide;
3. the car does not hold and slides straight away
We are taking it back, but are concerned in case they cannot find anything. What could be the problem and why would it be erratic?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Handbrake not gripping..could be a few things but obviously they would need to be checked out - the handbrake on these i recall are actually part of the rear they would need to check for such things as pad thickness on both sides / disc thickness / check for partically siezed calipers/handbrake cable and the mechanism/lever on the calipers itself that the cable is attached and those would likely be the checks that need to be made..but 5 clicks is well within the max of 7 clicks for the handbrake..if its to tight and you only get a couple of clicks then you can run the risk of stretching the cables and eventually snap..But as standard practice as you may know already if for example manual..with the handbrake on - then if the cars facing up hill then you must leave it in 1st gear - if the car facing down hill then i must be in Reverse should never rely on the handbrake alone itself to hold the car on a hill...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we do know about putting into gear when parking (thanks for saying anyway in case we didn't), but am concerned about it not working correctly whilst driving.

When you say 'but 5 clicks...', are you suggesting that everything should be ok because of that? Or could some of the things mentioned still need remedial work that wouldn't make the handbrake too tight?

Could any of the things mentioned result in the handbrake only sometimes not working?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

The handbrake works in a way that it adjusts as the pads the thinner the pads go the more clicks you get or the higher the handbrake needs to go..of course to they would need to fully inspect the cables are freely moving/no excess travel - lever mechanisim on the caliper itself the ensure it freeing off and applying the handbrake properly and not sticking/siezed as such,not allowing the pads to fully grip and hold the for the amount of clicks you get now..5,6 or max7 id say would be upto or nearing the maximum of when the handbrake should actually fully engage/or lock up..if it failing to that then the items as suggested need to be looked far sometimes doing this fault? id say could well be something partially seizing not to allow the handbrake to work efficently .that could be anything from the pads sticking in the carrier to one of the calipers itself partically siezed..they could try a brake performance test on brake roller tester . bit like during an mot and see if that helps diagnose via parking brake efficiency is and which side maybe at fault

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK