Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

My daihatsu Terios will not rev above 3,500 revs. It's not

My daihatsu Terios will not rev above 3,500 revs.
It's not missing until it reaches this then it starts to restrict
the revs.
No engine management lights are on when running.
I've replaced the lambda sensors in the exhaust system also.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Most typical issue for this problem you are experiancing is the MAF sensor .

Disconnect the MAF sensor then start the engine and see if you can rev the engine higher
than the 3500rpm.

If you can have the sensor cleaned with MAF cleaner ,great care should be taken when cleaning this sensor .a good MAF spray cleaner should work if the sensor is dirty if not replace the sensor .

Before replacing any sensor do a visual check of the engine all vacuum hoses etc connected ,the hose after the MAF sensor is good and no air leaks .

If the revs do not get better with the MAF disconnected then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund, if you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know.

Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have disconnected the MAF and it makes no difference to the revs.

I took the vehicle out to see if the revs where restricted and they went to the red line no problem i was doing about 70 mph

When I got home i let the engine tick over then tried to rev the engine up and it was again restricting to 3.500 revs.

I put my foot to the floor and it was missing and spluttering.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andy .

In Neutral or standing the limiter will kick in and not let you go above 3500rpm.this is normal.,and when you reach 3500rpm it will cut out race cut out .

As long as you are driving and the revs go over 3500rpm then you are okay .

The above is totally normal ,this rev limiter is to stop one over revving the engine which could result in having a blown engine ,seen this happen where the piston rod cracks out the side of the engine block...

Rgds Greg