Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Vauxhall astra fitted with new DPF

I have a Vauxhall astra cabriolet 1.9 diesel engine year 09. last week my car started to lose power and eventually stopped. It was fitted with a DPF but two days later same symptoms, losing power then stopped. I am now left with no.

Do you think there is still a problem with the dpf or could it be related to another problem please let me know your thoughts thank you

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Did they say exactly why they had to replace the DPF or what fault codes did they get when they scanned it?

How often is the vehicle used generally?

Any warning lights on at the moment since this fault occurred?

Is this a Vauxhall dealer or local garage carrying out the work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They said the DPF had all broken up inside and needed to be replaced it and was replaced with a genuine DPF.

They did not mention any fault codes

The vehicle is used on a daily basis and I do on average 500 miles per week

There has been no warning lights shown at either time.

It is just a local garage carrying out the work

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Well normally DPF's dont break up which is quite odd and not really a common problem..A DPF is just there to capture soot particles and thus during you daily driving or motorway journey etc..the ecu measure the content of the dpf using differentail pressure sensors and thus when the dpf becomes around 80% full it then put the car/DPF into regeneration which essentially makes the DPF run extemely hot to burn off the soot the dpf has captured..once complete then thats it..However sometimes regeneration - if the car is seldom used or only used for short journeys doesnt get to fully complete and thus the dpf continues to fill and eventually block up with soot - this in turn causes lack of power or eventually non starting due to the excess back pressure..sometimes forced regeneration can be done diagnostically but end result is replacement..but its very uncommon for it to break up internally...If it has indeed done that - have they inspected the rest of the exhaust system to be sure the contents on the braken up dpf has founds it way towards into the other rear boxes on the exhaust system..only way to rule that out would be to drop the sections of exhaust system and see if the car starts up and regains power without them if it dose then you'll know the problem.....Hvaing said that if the car still fails to start..the exhaust system is clear of blockages then you'll have differant issue obviously as starting point any way due to your description of loss of power then a routine check of restrictions in the air intake system / turbo system / then as further check is the engine actually getting fuel or is there low fuel pressure on the live data via diagnostics - might require a new fuel filter as i recall one i worked on with similar issue power wise was down to fault fuel filter..might not be in your case but it was quite a known issue on those astra' well worth checking out..I do hope this helps..If you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK