Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Land Rover Freelander TD4 purchased in 2011. It has

I have a Land Rover Freelander TD4 purchased in 2011. It has 32,000 miles on the clock and I have been advised by the garage that is servicing it that it needs new track rod ends. It has never been driven off road. Is this a normal repair for a 4 x 4 vehicle with 32,000 miles on the clock?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

It is quite unusal to see wear at such mileage depending on the extent at which the wear or play is on those ends - for them to be replaced that soon..of course other factors such as road conditions/pot holes and such dont help either,and we see that alot on most 4x4's/cars..the problem with it being steering component means any play in the balljoint as per track rod ends would upset the steering/tracking some what and thus knock on effect with tyre wear..so sadly they have to be replaced to ensure the steering/tracking isnt effected...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Robert and I understand that road condition would be a factor. I have asked for the worn parts to be returned to me so that I can have them independently checked.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Normally on these it would be the ball socket on the balljoint itself,if there a torn rubber boot around the joint the this can cause the grease to leak out ..obviously they would class that as a wear and tear item..but they can not be reconditioned but replaced to solve that issue..also to add any new balljoints that are fitted can be alot stronger than the original fitment..... However if you can rate my responce/answer above that would most appreciated.regards Robert