HondaGuygold
HondaGuygold, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Most Advanced Degree:Vocational, Technical or Trade School Major or Emphasis:Automotive
3827149

I have a CRV circa 2012 and on two occasions after a very short

Customer Question

I have a CRV circa 2012 and on two occasions after a very short time of using the radio with the car parked and the engine not running the battery has gone flat and I was unable to start the engine. The local Honda Dealer who sold me the car have checked it over and say there is nothing wrong and that the engine should be running when the radio is in operation.
I do not feel that this is correct and would like to know if this is a CRV characteristic or if there is indeed a fault e.g. the battery. The car has operated without problem for many months although I do not ususally operate the radio while being parked.
Ray
Category: Car
Expert:  HondaGuygold replied 2 years ago.
There are many issues with the cells in these batteries going bad from the factory so much that Honda extended the battery warrant to 5 years due to the issue. The battery needs to be tested under a load test which will fail and replacing the battery will fix your issue very common. These are the next steps. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,

I have now had a health check of the battery which indicated 85% efficiency however there was only a 45 % charge. This after the battery had been charged to full capacity by the dealer 2 days previously and the car subsequently operated at speeds of up to 70 mph. for around 1 hour.

The loss of charge is unacceptable and the dealer indicated that the alternator was operating correctly.

Is it still the battery or the voltage regulator?

Please advise

This is the battery and it needs to be replaced.