Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an Arnage and just recently the power steering has developed

I have an Arnage and just recently the power steering has developed a problem whereby the steering is jerky when turned either way. It seems ok when stationary.
Can you help please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

1st thing to check is the level and condition of the power steering fluid, you've already topped it up but what colour is it?

as if its black then it needs replacing , which requires a hose to be removed from the steering rack and the system drained from there

Also check the condition of the steering ball joints and suspension balljoints that allow the wheel upright to swivel

as I've known these to seize up and produce heavy steering especially when under load / cornering

you can check for worn joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault