Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I own a 2010 landrover discovery 4 3litre auto diesel which

Customer Question

I own a 2010 landrover discovery 4 3litre auto diesel which is occationaly smoking when under heavy acceleration, what may be causing this, and how do I fix it. Thanks Bob
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

a little bit of black smoke on acceleration is normal

however if its more than a just a quick 'puff' as you accelerate then

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. a burst or loose pipe will result in over fuelling and black smoke as you describe If this Ok then it could be a major engine sensor such as the airflow meter or cam position sensor has failed so that the ECU is now overfuelling or injecting at the wrong point and resulting in poor combustion. The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

Another possibility is that the fuel filter is blocked so resulting in low fuel pressure and again poor combustion - replace the filter in any case as diesels are very sensitive to this

also check how much oil is going through the breather by popping off the intake hose in front of the turbo and checking for oil deposits. Diesels will run off engine oil so this could also be making it rich

If its been overfilled with oil it will also produce surging as the oil finds its way back into the engine