Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My xsara Picasso 1.6 HDi engine drops power then regains power

My xsara Picasso 1.6 HDi engine drops power then regains power at any speed sometimes it cuts out when I'm going slow the engine light has not come on.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..apologies for the delay..

Any issues starting from cold engine?

When it cuts out etc..does it start up easily or continually spins over?

Mileage?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it starts first time mileage 104'000
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It starts up easily
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..if there is no warning lights as you describe..the best place to start considering it drops power/stalls so to speak would be to try a new fuel filter as first step..hdi's are very sensitive to fuel pressure..so any restriction however small in the filter unit itself as such can cause alot of running problems...once they actually replace it..open it up the old filter and check for swarf floating about in the base..this can be sign of possible fuel pump failure..the high pressure side can only be checked on diagnostic s due to the high pressures involved...also make a good inspection of the injectors/leak of lines for any possible leaks.and monitor the clear fuel lines for any air bubbles..a sure sign of air ingress problems...but as above if there indeed no warning lights nor messages..id say the best thing to do would be to get a new filter.preferably a genuine filter and see if any improvment is made..I do hope this helps