Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my grande move failed the MoT . The exhaust emissions are too

Customer Question

my grande move failed the MoT . The exhaust emissions are too high. The engine does use more oil now. Are there any common problems with the exhaust emissions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

If the cars has a high oil consumption and struggles to pass an emissions test its likely to be burning the oil and not leaking it out.

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for the information. Will changing the cat convertor help reduce the emissions enough to pass the MoT test.?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Bill

quite possibly but before changing that out I'd try a bottle of this first as I've had good results with it

http://www.cataclean.com/