Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have had a new clutch fitted to my Avensis 2002 plate by

I have had a new clutch fitted to my Avensis 2002 plate by a less than honest mechanic and now there is a banging noise from under the bonnet as though something has not been fastened properly. What could this be.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..apologies for the delay................

Where exactly do you know around the engine does this noise seem to

come from?

Does it happen when sitting stationary and the engine running etc or any change in pitch or stops when for example changing gear or using the clutch?

Any issues steering or problems with the cars stability since this happened?

Have you spoken to the garage concerned about this issue?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The noise is when the car is in motion, when it is stationary it is quiet but if I hit a bump in the road it feels like something should have been fastened down. The car has been serviced in the last 3 weeks and had a new exhaust in the last 3 days but it was when the work fitting a new clutch was completed the fault started. That was completed last week. He had not put the plastic engine cover back properly but I found the screw and fixed that thinking it was possibly the fault but it is a much heavier noise than that it almost sounds as if the engine is unstable.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

Certainly going by your description it would seem that something is loose/hasnt been fully tightened or damaged insome way...to replace a clutch on these requires to remove quite a bit from the car to get the gearbox out or moved to enable replaceing the clutch..so ideal that those parts removed are reinspected fully... this would involve a complete inspection of the front suspension /lower arms /balljoints also inspection of the driveshafts security into the box and into hubs via the centre nut / gearbox mountings need to be checked for security and tightness and damage to the rubber mounts itself....aswell as security of both front wheels..also an inspection of the exhaust mountings at the front...Because this happens when the car moves..then this should be looked at asap and it "could" endanger yourself or others if something related to the suspension hasnt been been fully or properly reinstalled..so id say the best advice would be to return the car to the garage and insist they re-check over their work again,if they do and rectify the problem free of charge then fine..if they fail to do that then you have options of a second opinion to look the car over and if anything needs rectifed then you can persue the offending garage for the costs of having the problem sorted if they are at fault or you could seek help or advice from local trade and standards..but like i say this shouldnt be left unchecked and needs all areas as i mentioned above inspected again...I do hope this helps