Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Last October I bought a 2011 XK coupe, with a 12month warranty

Last October I bought a 2011 XK coupe, with a 12month warranty from a franchised dealer.
Early in January I noticed a 'clonk' when drive or reverse was engaged. A local Jaguar service agent identified the noise as a soft wear problem and updated it successfully. About two weeks ago the 'clonk' returned. I returned the car to the local agent who, to my surprise, installed a new gearbox under warranty.
My question is this, is the gearbox on this model generally unreliable. The car has now done 33000 miles.
Thanks,
Andrew
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
I am also a warranty inspector and i have inspected this model gear box often, yes there is a common failure that these gearboxes have. The problem is that the input bearing fails prematurely and causes movement which causes the clonk.
Replacing the gearbox is the only fix to this problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's interesting. The next question is will the replacement gear box have a modified bearing or can I expect to replace the gearbox again in 30000 miles.
The replacement gearbox comes with a updated stronger bearing, so since the gearbox has been replaced, you will not have further issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that. I am a bit nervous about this. These days I expect a modern car to be 'bullet proof'. Not like the Jaguars I used to drive in the 70's and 80's.

I understand completely. Thank you.