Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

vauxhall astra 1.6 petrol engine (2004) engine cut out,wouldnt

Customer Question

vauxhall astra 1.6 petrol engine (2004) engine cut out,wouldnt start,pushed car off the road tried again and started,got car home.any ideas where to start? there is a light on in the instrument panel car with spanner .
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Disconnecting the battery wont help if the fault is permanent or the ecu sees the fault still present on the engine,the warning light will continue to come up - the car/spanner is an engine management warning so its means your ecu has actually logged certain fault codes related to what ever sensor/ecu controlled component on the engine has developed a fault...Ideally it best to actually get the car plugged in and see what codes you have to be able to get any further forward as far as checks or replacements goes..if you have small code reader then you can use that - if not then any good local mobile tech/local garage will be able to do that for you..the most common fault in regards ***** ***** out could be failed crank or cam sensor and thus the engine wont have spark or fuel..either way the best thing you can do is get the fault codes that way you'll have a better idea where to start..I do hope this helps