Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have just bought a skoda fabia 1.4 Vrs 2011 combi. I am disabled

I have just bought a skoda fabia 1.4 Vrs 2011 combi. I am disabled and have had to attach an extension arm onto the indicator stalk on the left so I can use my right hand to move the indicator. The issue is: on cancelling manually it over cancels and indicates and start indicating the other way, if it self cancels it also sometimes (though not always) does this also. Is there a way of increasing the resistance to the positioning when indicating the stalk? Is this something to do with the sensitivity of the convenience setting? can I do anything about this and is it just a fault and nothing to do with the extension arm I have put on?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

hello

Ross :

This sounds like the extention arm could be putting too much weight onto the switch causing it to flick down into the wrong position, otherwise it will be a fault with the switch, there is a spring that holds it in the central position, if the spring goes weak, it will cause this problem, but as this is since the extention was fitted it may just be the extention, or possibly a combination of the two so ideally the extention needs to be removed to see if the problem is cured, if so it may need adjusting (depending on the type fitted)

Customer:

when I picked up the car and driving it without the stalk I ask my passenger to indicate for me on ocassions, he found that when cancelling HE over cancelled it also, though not always

Customer:

maybe it is a combination of the two then

Ross :

Yes, if that is the case, I suspect the switch is going weak and the extention is worsening the fault.

Customer:

if I get the spring checked, is it possible in your opinion the get a stronger spring?

Customer:

the car is only 3 years old (30,000 miles), so surprised if the spring is weakening already?

Ross :

There isn't much that can be done as it is a sealed unit, I have seen these go weak on several models before so it might be a common issue. My best advice would be a replacement switch which will have a good strong spring.

Customer:

OK thanks