Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

, We have a 2005 kia sorento xse diesel auto. it has just

Hi, We have a 2005 kia sorento xse diesel auto. it has just come back from the mechanics and I noticed that the transmission oil dip stick was not in properly, there is oil all over the engine and none left in the transmission when I check the level. After spotting this I tried to reverse it back up my driveway and it would only move under very hi revs, almost like a slipping clutch on a manuel gearbox. Will filling with new oil cure this problem, or is it something else causing it?
Thanks Rob
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

the transmission relies on the right amount of oil to generate pressure and operate correctly

providing its not been driven far with no / low oil then you may be Ok

1st thing to try is topping it up

Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..