Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Have o6 grand vitara petrol and seems like a scraping sound

Customer Question

Have o6 grand vitara petrol and seems like a scraping sound underneath. it seems under gearbox,when car is started it can be heard and driving sounds like plactic caught in wheels but its not. Any ideas and any ideas of cost
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Does the sound change or alter if the clutch is depressed? or selecting certain gears?

Any change in pitch when braking,steering or speeding up/slowing down etc?

Does it still happen when in reverse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when driving the sound is constant, when cornering may be a bit louder. 1st gear is slipping and i start in 2nd so could it be the gearbox. dont notice anything in reverse

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

Could well be gearbox related internally so to speak..but its worth at least ensuring the clutch isnt defective..i note you do it slips in 1st - if it gear slip or crunching then yes id say theres a strong possibiliy the gearbox is at fault..if its slipping like clutch slip and not much movement from the vehicle or the revs dont match the speed of the car then it most likely clutch related...Id say the best idea would be to ge the car on a 2 post lift then have then with someone in the car put in it 1st with the engine running..and then lift the car up and listen for the mentioned noise..that would likely verfiy either way..of course too they would need to check for present gearbox oil leaks too..issues or wear to both driveshafts,cv couplings/wheels bearings/transfer box