Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 30,000 miles Defender 90 which will shortly be 3 years

Customer Question

I have a 30,000 miles Defender 90 which will shortly be 3 years old & therefore out of warranty. Bowler will remap the ECU from 122 bhp to 175 bhp, a +40% increase in power & torque for £1,000. Will the engine & drive train components handle this increase & are there any other worthwhile alternative engine modifications I should consider?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

the transfer gearbox is the weakest link here and a switch to fully synthetic gear oil 75W90 helps quite a bit

- keep an ear out for increased rattling and mechanical noise from the bellhousing area to see how this fares

the clutch may also be on the limit with this amount of increase but see how you go as if you don't rush the gear changes it will last a fair while