Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have problem with my ford focus. The vehicle movement is sluggishly and could not ascend

I have problem with my ford focus. The vehicle movement is sluggishly and could not ascend a little high slope. When on a stationary point it will rev very fine and fully, but when engage in gear, it may either switch off or move 50meter before refusing to move again or keep jacking and the sound change. When dis engage from gear at that point. It will rev norma again.
‎VEHICLE DATA
X 845 GDT‎
1.8 Ford Focus Zetec 5 Door Hatchback 1796cc (2000) petrol wine color, kw 85 HP 115
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you have any check engine lights on? if so then typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have Diagnostic machine. Autoboss. And the report code. Is that the sensors at the crankshaft is bad. This sensor is by the top cylinder side at the back close to ingnition coil. The sensor is now been changed But no different.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Saka

thanks for the extra information
the sensor on the cyylinder head is the cam sensor,and not the crank sensor

so I'd suggest inspecting and possibly replacing the crank sensor

this sensor is located by the front crank pulley

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mat,

First my vehicle is ford focus Zetec year 2000 . Am sorry the sensor is heated oxygen sensor that was changed. Not crankshaft Sensor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you please get back to me

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Saka

OK in that case I'd suggest measuring fuel pressure as it could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't I have idea of fuel relay switch .

And also I want to know the effect of cylinder head temperature sensor. Could it be that it can cause lossing of speed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I expect you to answer promptly . But I couldn't get answer as I expected.. My last enquiry was not answer.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Saka

sorry like most experts on here I'm not on here full time

the fuel pump relay should be with the other relays in the under bonnet fuse box and are small black or dark gry plastic cubes of about 30mm square
they're a high power switch so used to enable the heavy duty electrical items on the car

the cylinder head temperature sensor takes the role of coolant temperature sensor as found on other engines

its used by the ECU to control the amount of fuel added during engine warmup and for cold starts

if faulty typically the car will be hard to start and may suffer from high fuel consumption

I'd still reccoommend measuring fuel pressure as the next step