Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2010 i30 petrol hatch-back. Since service in March,

I have a 2010 i30 petrol hatch-back. Since service in March, when coolant was drained & replaced, the level is constantly dropping. Went back to dealer last Wednesday & they checked the car, pressure tested it & topped up with coolant to 'full'. It's now Sunday & level is 'low'.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Any issues with overheating at all?

Any leaks under the car thats been noticed at any time left overnight and or after a drive or any excess vapour from the exhaust?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There hasn't been an issue with overheating & I have left cardboard under the car overnight & have seen no leaks. I haven't noticed any excess vapour from the exhaust.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

Ok..normally with any type of coolant loss..is due to either an external leak somwhere or the cars burning the coolant off ie:- internal leak,head gasket..normally a system pressure test would actually highlight that and if the system doesnt hold pressure or forces the leak to appear even small air bubbles from any fittings or housings/pipe work then thats normally how the coolant escapes,id say it could be well worth getting that checked again for to ensure the system is sealed..have they ensured the leak isnt going into the car due to a faulty heater matrix..well worth checking just incase..if the foot wells are wet or dam or the windows tend to steam up then that where you should be looking..has the exapansion tnak been checked for leaks aswell as the condition of the expansion tank cap..if the seal on the caps faulty that too can cause coolant loss aswell..have you mentioned whether the system had been bled properly after the coolant change.well worth ensuring thats been done properly...