Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have just purchased a 2005 Hyudai Tuscon Diesel with 90,000

I have just purchased a 2005 Hyudai Tuscon Diesel with 90,000 miles on it, driving perfectly only one problem gear change is a bit sticky(hard get it into all of the gears), I also notice what appears to be a fluid leak at the front maybe from the steering pump
John Coady
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

What colour is this fluid exactly?

And in which region at the front?

Is gear change any better with the engine off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

colour is reddisk/black

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there apoligies for the delay..

Ok..If its red coloured oil..then id say your probably right in that you may have leak on the power steering system..obviously nobody can pin to a certain area at this point without actually checking the ps circuit..but the general advice being would be to start at the power steering reservoir and basically follow the feed line to the power steering pump then follow the hydraulic lines to the steering rack.aswell as check for leak around the rack itself and basically follow the lines back..all the while checking for mentioned leak..any leak that is found would have to be repaired

..if the leak certainly coming from the pump itself then yes that would have to be replaced..but ensure the pipe work to it is tight....so as above thats about the best way forward with that...as far as the gear change goes..if its difficult in both engine off and on..then it might worth at least checking the gear linkages at the gearbox and spray some lubricant around those and see if that helps..