Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper with 41000 miles on the clock. The

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper with 41000 miles on the clock. The engine management light has been coming on sporadically. Having already forked out for new Coil, leads and spark plugs, Mini Cobham now inform me the problem is inside the engine. There is a problem with Valve 4. They want to charge me a minimum of £2500 to get it repaired. Is it worth getting this problem fixed? In good working condition the car is probably worth £4-5k. Is it worth just getting a reconditioned engine? Or do I just trade it in as is against another car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ross.

What advice can you give me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

BMW did compression test and found loss of pressure on cylinder 4.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with the car, it does sound like a burnt or dropped valve. As for where to go next, it is largely down to personal choice. I would be inclined to avoid fitting a different engine because it is difficult to know for sure how good the engine will be. If you know your engine is a good engine (other than the valve) then a new valve will cure the problem. If you are in a position where trading it in on a new car is an option, it is often the easiest way to go forward, there is always a possibility that other problems will be found when the engine is stripped apart due to the type of failure and many times I have seen customers pay the labor only to be told much more is required to repair the engine, then end up trading in anyway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ross, that is helpful. So it sounds like you feel it is likely that there will be other problems as well.

So your advice would be to trade in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The car failed its MOT due to emissions... I was told that this related to the engine problem. Would that be right? Or might that be a sign of other deeper problems?

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if this is a burnt valve it usually happens for a reason but often this can also lead to burnt pistons, or piston damage etc.. if it failed emissions, it could be a result of the damaged valve or piston or this could be another problem that has caused the engine damage. It is a lot of money to spend on a top end engine repair at the best of times but if there is further work required it is simply not economic to continue with the repair but of course you are still landed with the bill for the labor and left with a car in parts which is difficult to trade in. If you were to trade the car in it works in your favor as it works out cheaper for the BMW Dealer to carry out the repair so it they will often work out a better trade in price, If they strip it and find further problems they will know exactly what is wrong and drop the valuation accordingly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

BMW have quoted me £500 trade-in in current condition, and £3-3.5k if in good working condition! (Both prices are a rip off as far as I can tell!)

Given that the minimum cost for BMW to do the work will be £2500 to repair I'm just not sure what to do.

I don't want another mini so unlikely that I will trade in with BMW anyway.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
£500 is probably about right to be honest. It is a lot of money to loose but they buy low and sell high, that is just the car trade. You are better off selling the car privately with a misfire as spares/repair as long as you make it clear there is a misfire a private trader may pay up to £1000 for the car and repair it to sell on. It gives you cash to play with for the next car with always helps. Otherwise if you prefer to keep things simple to avoid the hassle my best advice would be to visit some dealers to find a car you like and explain the car you want to trade in has a misfire and see what they offer. If they offer you less than £500, walk away but I would expect to see anything between £500 - £1000 for your car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK! Thanks Ross. I really appreciate your advice and assistance. It is reassuring to know where I stand.

Much appreciated.

A

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Glad to be of help and best of luck! If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician