Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

on a volvo s40 1.6 petrol does the crank sit on the locking

on a volvo s40 1.6 petrol 2006 does the crank sit on the locking pin as with the focus? i ask this because i bought a timing belt kit which was wrong(early tensioner). i stripped engine and belt before realising and need to know if the crank is in the correct place before re-fitting.

Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you. The crank uses a locking tool which bolts to the side of the gearbox to lock the flywheel. It is locked at Top dead centre on cylinder 1 with this tool so is very similar to the focus but does not allow backwards rotation of the crank so if anything is more "fail safe"Did you set the engine to Top dead centre before the belt was removed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i set the engine using the locking as with the ford engine and i am assuming that when the crank stops against the locking pin that this is top dead centre.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. If you are using the pin the crank webbing will hit the pin at TDC. If you are unsure pop out the number 1 spark plug and remove the locking pin and drop a long screw driver into the cylinder, Turn back slightly and ensure the screw driver is pushed up and drops slightly, then turn back, insert pin and the screw driver should be fully raised when it hits the pin. Lock the cams with the bar and install the belt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your information that is just the answer i was after. greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
No problem! If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.