Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Jaguar X type 2006 4wd propshaft balance New Propshaft fitted

Customer Question

Jaguar X type 2006 4wd propshaft balance New Propshaft fitted but vibration still felt above 50mph but none before , any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd agree that it does sound like a faulty prop and I'd suggest sending it off to this firm

its also worth checking for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response, the garage has carried a number of other checks including running the car without the propshaft to confirm that this is still likely to be the problem area. Special attention was paid tom the support bearing fixing as this was the area of the original fault but his has not solved the problem. Alignment marks were rechecked although there seem to be some difficulty in finding them.

Current plan is to try rotating this shaft via the splines to see if this solves the problem( not that I hold out much hope). I have also noted that the original shaft used gaskets between the coupling but I thought this had been eliminated after 2004 models, mine being 2006.So I am still a little non plus. Local Jaguar Agent says they have never had problem with replacement shafts to date so cannot advise without viewing.Steve C

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello well another possibility is that you have some kind of engine misfire that only occurs under high engine loads - however this should generate a check engine light but it may be worth a trying a set of spark plugs and to the measure fuel pressure perhaps?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?