Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Just bought low mileage, FSH immaculate 2005 sonata Great

Just bought low mileage, FSH immaculate 2005 sonata
Great car but one big problem: abs/esp lights come on permenantly after several minutes of driving
There seems to several causes looking on the net
What's the best plan of attack?
Beginning to think I've been sold aturkey, explains why the test drive was short!
Dave
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

There could many faults that can cause that as you may of gathered yourself already - normally the best approach in situations like this is to get the faults codes from the abs system/control module and see what its seeing dropping out or faulty..the esp system runs through the same system on the abs - by your description and through experiance on other cars with the same faults..it possible you have faulty abs sensor and thus because its not sending back info from which ever wheel the faulty sensors on..then it will flag up a fault code and thus you get those light coming up at certain speeds - you may also want to check the driveshafts at the front on the outer cv end nearest the hub you note or should note a target rind on the cv housing.. this is what the sensor reads as the wheels turns...so if that ring has fractured or corroded then that too can cause this aswell...as too can play in the hubs faulty bearing/faulty brake light switch even etc..but if it where me - id get it scanned first and see what fault codes or area on that abs the fault is likely to be.thats about the only way to be fully certain of whats going on..or test drive whilst plugged in to the scanner depending on the scanner of course and monitor/data live record the system whislt driving and that should help diagnose or help with further checks to be able to sort this out...having said that if this was a dealer you bought the car from..then you may want to take this up with them if under warranty etc..but bear in mind those warnings are now tested under MOT..so if they remain on during testing then it can fail the test...but as above best thing or advice is to get it scanned..all garages would need to that before making checks on it..I do hope this helps

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Robert

A friend found no faults with his obd2 scanner a few days ago

I'll have another go

Cheers

Dave

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Depends what scanner he used.if its just a handheld engine management obd2 scanner then that wont work cause that will only scan the engine ECU. sometimes some scanners arent able to diagnose some systems.thats why normally you need to find someone who has a higher end tool that covers those systems - you need to interogate the abs control module/ecu to be able to track that fault down.. But if the ABS/ESP is on the dash then it has stored faults codes..

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert

Could having two different makes of tyre and very different tread patterns cause my problems?

Or wheel alignment?

Just been for drive and pressed the button to switch off esp and the esp off light illuminated.

Whilst driving around the light flashed on and off erratically like a loose connection would cause

Cheers

Dave

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Makes of tyre shouldnt make a differance initially - unless the sizes/profile differ...only way to know for sure would be swap back tyres to the front and front to the back.. but if there is a flickering light..then its "possible" you may have loose conection as you say..best thing to do would be check your sensors at each hub//and follow the wire up to the plug and ensure it ok.make a quick inspection of the abs pump connector "just follow your brake lines from the master cylinder and you come to it/brake light switch too..and make sure everything is connected..at the same time you can check those target rings on the shafts for issue too..as i mentioned before..failing that then you have to get a scanner on it to be able to locate the area in question to make further checks or replacement sensor if required...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert

Thanks for your help

I'll get on with checking everything and let you know how I get on

Cheers

Dave