Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My daughter has a 05 mini one D and she hit a pothole

Customer Question

hi,
my daughter has a 05 mini one D and she hit a pothole and the car lost power and cut out. the car has been on a diagnostics machine to find the fault but everything seems to be ok. the car cranks over and there is fuel at the injectors but still won't fire. fuel pump checked and filter changed. will fire on easy start. any ideas what the problem might be. thanks andy
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

Ok this sounds like a lack of fuel so I'd1st check that the fuel cut-offf switch in the left hand corner of the engine bay/cowl vent.

this looks like this

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi the image you have sent is for a 1.6 cooper. my daughters car is a 1.4 diesel and i can't locate a fuel cut off switch in the engine bay also i have fuel at the injectors and it fires on easy start. this only happened after hitting a pothole. can you clarify where the cut off switch is.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andy

on some cars the cut off switch wasn't fitted and in 2005 / 2006 it was deleted entirely

so if its not in the corner of the engine bay then its likely not there

so I'd next check that the fuel pump relay and ECU relays are fully pushed home in in the socket in the engine bay fusebox