Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

2003 freelander had clutch cylinder fitted at garage

Customer Question

2003 freelander had clutch slave cylinder fitted at garage collected it running very rich black smoke when exelerating
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.
Is your Freelander petrol or diesel? Thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

diesel

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ok If this occurred as a result of the work carried out on the clutch I suspect one of the air pipes have either been left loose or has split during removal. If the pipes leak air from the turbocharger the engine will receive less air, but continue to be supplied with the correct amount of fuel which will cause it to run rich and smoke. Split hoses are very common on these engines but I would start by checking all of the air pipes on the top of the engine, it may be difficult to spot a split but you can start by ensuring all pipes are clamped tight, if the problem continues the pipes should be removed and visually inspected for any splits.