Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Can anyone help me please i have a 2001 2.0 l Bettle that

Hi can anyone help me please i have a 2001 2.0 l Bettle that starts and runs until it gets warm and then cuts out and won't start again until cold
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Any engine warning warning lights come up on the dash prior or after the fault occurs?

Have you had any checked or investigated already upto now to help solve this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there no there's no warning lights on .

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..Its possible you may have have a faulty coolant temp sensor - this actually located on the thermostat housing - the ecu uses that sensor too to determine exactly what temperature the engine in to calculate how much fuel is need..so if the engines cold then the more fuel/air is needed until of course the engine heats up then thats trimmed off..its possible the sensor is acting up and ecu thinks the cars engines still cold..Also another check as and when that fault occurs is check the enigne still has spark - you need to remove depending on which ignition systems on it either the leads from no1 cylinder or coil and using a spark tester see if the engine still gets spark when its no starting..if not then quite possible the crank sensors failing or going open circuit..normally if hooked upto a diagnostic machine whilst the cars running can live data monitior or record as and when the fault occurs that way they will have better scope as to what sensor is dropping if any..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert thanks for your help i will take a look at those two things and let you know how get on Laughing

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

No problem at all..if you need to ask anything further then just continue on this post if required.. also please dont forget to rate my answer above - most appreciated..thanks Robert