Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Matt. How much do you charge advice on a

Customer Question

Hi Matt. How much do you charge for objective advice on a mechanical problem with a ford focus. I wrote my focus off a couple of months ago and am trying to understand what went wrong. As all the mechanics in the town know each other none will say honestly what caused my focus to loose power and skid out of control two months ago, writing it off (and causing me considerbale trauma). I should maybe add that the 'check engine light' had been on for some days before the incident and the local car mechanic said it was 'safe' to drive it for another week, at least. The car was loosing performance, jumping about and juddering all the time, until it hardly got up a hill. I had to keep it down in first and second gear - Then , approaching a corner, I went to brake but the braking and steering was out of control and I went into a skid and ended up on the of top of a bud bank ( just missing a deep ditch ). What would have happened if there had been another car coming in the opposite direction, I daren't think.

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

that sounds pretty nasty and I'm glad to hear that you're OK
for that amount of engine malfunction then its likely that a major sensor has failed

and for you to lose braking and steering then I'd say the engine must have stalled or was in the process of stalling at the time of the accident

as this would have lost power steering and also braking

when a check engine light is illuminated this means the ECU senses a faulty and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

Tthe 1st mechanic to look at the car should have done this and provided a diagnosis as driving around in limp home is not a repair