Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Jeep patriot 2011 model. An intermittent graunching noise coming

Customer Question

Jeep patriot 2011 model. An intermittent graunching noise coming from front of the vehicle. Only from starting and pulling away.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd 1st check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

if thats OK then
it could be a worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Matt. I will discuss with my garage and let you know. It sounds as though the engine has to be hoisted-could be costly? Can it be ignored and just wait for something to happen (ie how unsafe?). I would prefer to have it sorted as it is rather disconcerting. I was amazed at the "indifference " of the local Jeep dealer in Guildford who said nothing wrong because they didn't hear anything when they took a test drive. Thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Micheal

if the engine has to be hoisted then its not too big a drama as most mobile engine cranes will reach under the bonnet with no issues

I'd get it looked at, sooner rather than later as if a mount was to suddenly go (usually when you need to move in a hurry) then it can be nasty as the engien will lurch about instead of transmitting drive

I'd try and use an independent garage whenever possible as you nearly always get btter service and better value

try this firm

http://www.shere4x4.co.uk/
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael

do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Matt, I sent the following message a little while back now (6 may), through the convention emails-clearly it never got to you?

Matt, I am extremely pleased to have received your thoughts, but on what criteria am I meant to judge your thoughts at the present time. The vehicle has not been booked into a garage yet, so I have no idea whether your suggestions are near the mark. Once I have had an assessment I will be only too pleased to provide a rating.

Actually I live in Alton Hants, Shere is a bit of a hike from here. Is there anyone else you know of nearer, to have a look at the Jeep.

Mike

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike

I understand

a more local specialist to you would be

http://www.performancecarcompany.com/