Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Problem with the esp/service light on problem is diagnosed

Customer Question

problem with the esp/service light on problem is diagnosed as steering angle sensor intialisation i have had this done on a renault clip it was reset and after two miles came on again so took it back the garage did it again same again esp/service lights on they told me to replace the steering angle sensor to which i have done went and bought a renault clip can, can find fault reading steering angle sensor but cannot find out how to reset the sensor firstly have you come across this problem before as the four wires that go to the sensor 1 is ground 2 is ignition feed 3 and 4 go to the abs ecu the only joint there is made in these wires go to the clutch pedal switch could there be a problem in this wiring and can you explain in detail how to access the renault clip so as i can reset the steering angle sensor so at least if it does it again i can try something else and reset it again and can you enlighten me if the steering wheel sensor is at fault why does it take a few miles to bring the fault back on again as the lights stay off there is no set pattern to what makes the lights come back on eg, going round a corner or a bump in the road the last time i was going straight at about 25 mph. suspension is fine parts were removed then tracked back up twice on a laser machine steering wheel is dead straight no pulling or verying to one side mystery thanks paul
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Paul

this soudns like the steering rack may not be centralised on the shaft

as if the steering wheel can be turned more 1 way than the other then this will raise an error, however the ECU will need to see multiple event of the steering presenting more travel in 1 direction than the other

so I'd suggest checking how far you can turn the wheel in 1 direction and then check in the opposite direction , if there's any difference then the steering rack isn't centralised
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi matt no problem with the steering rack turns any other suguestions and have you got the answers to the rest of my question thanks paul

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Paul

I'm afraid I'm not familar with the 'clip' device but usually with these systems there's a 'reset' button to re-sync the steering angle sensor with the steering set to dead ahead

as to there being a wiring fault then its possible but I feel a simple reset should be carried out 1st

if you can see the steering position signal on the clip device then see if if stays steady with a steady wheel position, a signal thats flicjering about indicates wiring or sensor issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi matt steering wheel turns 1-1/2 each way from centre so this is not the problem . and need the information on the renault clip so i can reset the angle the steering angle reading is 4175 and is constant
thanks for your efforts so where does this leave us

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Paul

I'll opt out and try and get another expert involved

good luck

don't reply to this post otherwise it'll lock back to me