Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Good morning, I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0l Diesel 2003.

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0l Diesel 2003. When the car is going up a hill it seems to over rev also at times just going along. Any ideas what is causing this?.
Thank you Janie
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

By the sounds of your description..it likely the Clutch could be on the way out - usually the most common signs of clutch wear is either slipping under engine load or going up hills..or miss match in rpm of engine and the speed of the car eg:- high rpm and not much speed..too a very high bite point on the clutch pedal can be a sign the clutch plate is wearing - There is test you can try - on a quite flat road put it in 4th lift the clutch slowly and try to pull away. The car should then really labour badly to the point of stall straight away completely. If it doesn't and pulls off slowly or rpm increases slowly without much labour on the engine, the clutch is worn and needs replaced..i do hope this helps