Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

My 2002 Toyota 3 litre Camry has an intermittent throttle

Customer Question

My 2002 Toyota 3 litre Camry has an intermittent throttle fault. On light throttle opening when slowing down, the engine may miss fire but pick up again as the throttle is moved. This does not happen all the time. Also, if the car is started and the engine warmed when stationary and then taken to and held at 4500-5000 revs, the engine will start to cut badly and allow revs to fall. However, gentle movement of the accelerator will promote smooth running again. Toyota diagnosed that a faulty EGR valve needed replacing and this was done but the fault remained. Subsequently, a local garage subjected my car to the expensive Terra Clean process but this did not help. I would appreciate advice. Ron XXXX

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ron,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Shantal,

I am a very perplexed 'old fogey' as the problem I have encountered with my 3 litre Toyota Camry is the most mysterious that I have met in 60 years of driving and and during that time I have owned many cars including classics.

The TerraClean process was carried out 17/12/14 and the intermittent fault appeared to show itself less often but certainly hadn't been completely cured and so I sent my question to your company.

Since posing the question, I have taken my car on 11 test runs and, to my absolute astonishment, it has driven perfectly, a Rolls Royce couldn't have performed better. Perhaps,the TerraClean cleaning fluids needed a few months to go on working or perhaps this is just another example of how strange modern electronics can be.

In view of the present performance of my car, it would be best to remove my question from your internet site and I will keep my fingers crossed in the hope that perfect performance will continue.

Hi Ron,
Sorry we were unable to assist you. As requested I will close your question.
Hope your car situation improves.
Take care,