Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I hope you can help me. I have a 1972, 1300 Beetle

Customer Question

Hello, I hope you can help me. I have a 1972, 1300 Beetle and I'm having trouble with changing gears. It is very difficult to get the car into any gear, even with the clutch removed
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

OK its a cable pull clutch on these so 1st thing to check is if the amoutn of cable tension is correct

if you remove the passenger side rear wheel and look behind the engine you should see the lever coming out of the side of the gearbox with a cable at the top

this is the clutch arm and at the top of the arm / end of the cable there should be an adjusting nut to take up any slack in the cable

tighten this nut until there is little or no slack in the cable and then see how the gearshift is

also check that oil level in the box is correct

with the car on level ground and the gearbox warmed then the oil should just run out of the hole
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help?